Pretty Bicycle Cookies
This past Sunday I spent a couple hours making cookies for a friend of ours who is moving to start her next adventure in life. I wanted to send her off with some cookies and these pretty bicycles with baskets of flowers somehow popped into my mind. Do they have anything to do with her move or where she is going? Nope. I just thought they were pretty.
How can anyone turn down these pretty bicycles in cookie form? It makes me what to immediately go buy a blue bicycle even though the last time I rode a bike I nearly broke my leg. Clearly the person who coined the phrase "it's just like riding a bike" had never met me.
You may be thinking that piping an entire bicycle with royal icing is extremely hard. While not the easiest thing to pipe, it's actually just about as easy as tracing!
As I demonstrated in this post, you can easily trace just about any image onto dried royal icing with tissue paper and an edible ink pen. They trace over your image with royal icing. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
For the flowers in the bike's baskets, I painted some background leaves and flowers with gel food coloring that I diluted with some clear extract, like almond extract (sometimes I use vodka). Then I piped over them with some other flowers using my favorite piping tips.
Here are all the recipes and supplies I used to make the cookies:
- Royal Icing Recipe (I made 1 batch for about a dozen cookies)
- Raspberry Lemonade Sugar Cookie recipe from my Summer Cookie Pack (or you can use my Sugar Cookie recipe)
- #2 (small circle) tip for the wheels and body of the bike
- #1 (small circle) for the pedal and handles of the bike
- #14 flower tip for the pink rose
- #24 flower tip for the peach rose
- #225 flower tip for the white flower
- #349 leaf tip for the leaves
I hope you enjoy these cookies and maybe you will even make them for yourself or a friend!