Peppermint Bark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
How many versions of peppermint bark are there? Tons, I bet. I think I have made half of them, myself. It's a holiday staple!
But there can always be more, right? So I thought I would add this cookie version of peppermint bark into the mix. (Although, I'm sure someone else has already thought of this, so it's just new to me.
What I like about these peppermint bark chocolate Shortbread cookies is that they are, well, cookies. I would pick a chocolate cookie over a chocolate bar, any day of the week. But for those that need a chocolate fix, there is a nice white chocolate coating.
Speaking of which, for the white chocolate coating of these peppermint bark cookies I just melted down some white chocolate chips and also tossed in a drop or two of peppermint extract to give it even more peppermint flavor.
Then I dunked the cookie right in the melted chocolate. You could also spread the chocolate on the cookie, or drizzle. It's up to you!
As for the cookie itself, I made a chocolate shortbread, which is one easy cookie to make. Classic shortbread is just butter, sugar, and flour. These obviously also have some cocoa powder.
The beauty of these cookies is that you can use whatever cookie you want, be it homemade or store bought.
Oh yes, my friends, I am not above buying some store bought chocolate cookies, dipping them into some chocolate, sprinkling with candy cane pieces, and calling them homemade. Okay semi-homemade.
It's the holidays. We're all busy. Work smarter, not harder.
Okay, rant over. Now onto the finishing touche...candy canes!
I threw a couple candy canes into a zip top bag and then smashed the heck out of them until I had itty bitty pieces. Some we're a bit ittier and bittier, but I liked the contrast of larger chunks and candy cane dust.
While the chocolate was still wet, I sprinked a generous amount of candy cane pieces of top.
And that's it! Delicious homemade (or semi-homemade) peppermint bark chocolate shortbread cookies.
Make them asap before the holidays are over!
Peppermint Bark Shortbread Cookies
Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes 18 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz white chocolate, melted
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 candy canes, crushed
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder. Slowly mix the flour mixture into the butter until completely combined.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll the dough out to a quarter of an inch thick and cut into circles or desired shape. Place on a baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes then let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, mix the peppermint extract into the white chocolate, dip or spread the chocolate on half of the cookie. Sprinkle candy cane pieces over the wet chocolate.
- Let dry for at least an hour, or chill in the freezer to harden quickly.
- Store in an airtight container for a week.