Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
I am on a major soup kick lately. Something about a hot bowl of soup just makes me feel so cozy! One of my absolute favorites is enchilada soup! This recipe reminds me a lot of Chili's version I loved so much in college, but even better (because I know what's in it!).
My favorite part about it is that 95% of the work is done by the crock pot. The night before I saute up some diced onion and garlic and just about everything else goes in the slow-cooker as is: Chicken breast, chicken stock, roasted tomatoes, and spices. Once it's done, I mix in some cheese and top off with some tortilla chips.
It really is so easy and is hearty enough to satisfy any appetite for lunch or dinner. Plus it tastes just like a chicken enchilada, but is so much less work!
Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 8 hr Total Time: 8 hr 10 min
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 can roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced and sauteed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and sauteed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend cheese
- tortilla chips
- To the stoneware of a slow cooker, add chicken, chicken stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, corn, and spices. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, shred chicken with two forks and mix into rest of the soup. Mix in cheese and allow to melt, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle into a bowl and top with tortilla ships, avocado, cilantro, and extra cheese.