5 Minute Hollandaise Sauce (Made in a Blender!)
If you want to add a little decadence to your meal, add hollandaise sauce. It should be the definition of decadent. How could egg yolks blended with butter be anything but!
Making hollandaise can be a little bit of a pain in the butt, however. I've tried to make it on a couple of occasions and it has always been more work than it's worth. Then I learned you could make hollandaise in a blender and my life was changed! It couldn't have been easier. No more double boiler. No more constant whisking. I could just throw everything into the blender and let it do the work for me.
There are only a few ingredients in hollandaise sauce: egg yolks, butter, lemon juice, cayenne, salt, pepper, and a bit of water. First add the eggs, lemon juice, and water to the blender and give that thing a good blend. You want your egg yolks to be nice and pale and frothy.
Melt the butter, and while it is still hot gradually pour it into the egg mixture with the blender running. Be prepared to get a little bit splattered.
Keep the blender running until the sauce thickens...then blend it a little more.
The last step is to add some seasoning. Julia Childs likes to add a bit of cayenne in addition to some salt and pepper. I am not one to argue with Julia, so I, added some cayenne, too. You could also add a dash of hot sauce or paprika.
And that's all you have to do to make some delicious hollandaise sauce! Easy right? I bet you thought hollandaise sauce would be a lot more complicated! I sure did.
Hollandaise sauce can go on a lot more than just Eggs Benedict. I drizzled this on top of an asparagus tart, which was delicious paired with the lemony sauce. I hear it is also amazing with most vegetables, especially root vegetables, eggs, ham, and fish.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 sticks of butter
- dash of cayenne
- dash of salt, or to taste
- dash of pepper, or to taste
- Pour egg yolks, water, and lemon juice into a blender. Blend on high until light and frothy, about 45 seconds to a minutes.
- Place butter in the microwave and cook for about 1 minute until butter is completely melted.
- Turn blender on and remove the center portion of the lid. Slowly pour the hot butter into the egg mixture. Mixture will start to thicken. Continue to blend for another 30 seconds to a minute. Add in cayenne, salt, and pepper and blend for another 10 seconds.
- Keep mixture in blender until ready to transfer to a serving dish, ideally within 5 to 10 minutes. Then blend one more time before pouring into dish. Keep warm.