S'more Rice Krispie Treats
There are so many recipes that I make at home that never make it to the blog. Some I photograph, but the finished product just doesn't look or taste right.
Others I make, but never photograph, only having to make them again.
This was almost one of those recipes.
After the weather threatened our chances at making actual s'mores for our 4th of July cookout, I thought I would try something a little different. A total experiment. S'more Rice Krispie Treats!
However, after I made these and served them to my husband and neighbors, it was determined that they HAD TO GO ON THE BLOG.
My very picky husband literally called these S'more Rice Krispie Treats "amazing".
So here they are, on the blog....with almost no photos. Don't worry, though. They are very easy to make and require very little visual guidance.
How to Make Them
First, lay down a layer of graham crackers. My square baking dish didn't fit them perfectly, so I had to break a few in half to get the entire bottom of the pan covered in graham crackers.
Then, pour melted chocolate over the graham crackers and carefully spread it out so that there is a nice thin layer of chocolate over the crackers.
Now it's time to make the Rice Krispie treats! Follow the directions on the box or make your very own version of the classic and then dump the Rice Krispie mix on top of the chocolate covered crackers. Use a spatula to press the Rice Krispies down into the chocolate so that the entire pan is full.
Then do everything in reverse! Melt some more chocolate, pour and spread it on top of the Rice Krispie treats, then top with more graham crackers.
Let the entire thing sit and harden for about 30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
Finally, cut them into squares. You can use the top graham crackers as a guide, but they may not line up perfectly with the bottom grahams.
See, so easy right?
2 packages graham crackers (approx. 18 full crackers)
16 oz. your favorite chocolate
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 oz mini marshmallows
- 3 tbsp butter
- pinch of salt
Line the bottom of a casserole dish or jelly roll pan with graham crackers. Melt half of the chocolate and pour over the graham crackers. Use the back of a spoon or an offset spatula to spread the chocolate to evenly coat the graham crackers. Set aside.
In a large sauce pan, melt the butter. Pour in the marshmallows (reserving a handful or two to mix in later) and add the salt. Stir until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the Rice Krispies. Fold the melted marshmallows into the cereal until all the cereal is coated. Add in the reserved marshmallows and stir to combined.
- Dump the Rice Krispie mixture over the chocolate coated graham crackers. Use a spatula to press the mixture down into an even layer the covers the entire surface.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and spread over the Rice Krispie treats. While the chocolate is still melted, press the remaining graham crackers on top so that they are attached to the chocolate. Let cool for at 30 minutes or until the chocolate has hardened.
- Cut into squares, using the top graham crackers as a guide.
- Serve immediately, or store in a zip top bag until ready to serve.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes 20 Rice Krispie Treats